PDA

View Full Version : Star Ocean

Techman
05-27-2008, 03:04 AM
Reviewer: Techman
Game: Star Ocean (Translated)
Genre: Role Playing Game
Platform: Super Nintendo... Maybe PS2 (Not sure about the PS2 part)
Developer: Enix (I think... can't really tell)
Year Released: 2003 (The original version was made in 1996)

Concept: Well to start off, you begin on a starship with a dcotor and a comandor who are stressing over something... (won't tell that part all the way through).
After that cut scean at the very beginning of that game, it fades away to you (Ratix) and his friend (Dorn) who are the protectors of a small village called Clatos. During a small discussion between these two, a girl (Milly) walks in a hits Dorn for talking about her.
After some time playing the game (after a few battles and you meat up with two others, Iria and Ronixis,) Dorn begins turning to stone and you get beamed up to a ship. After some more time passes, you learn of a planet called Stream which hold a time gate at which you are to travel through. Once in the past you find that you are seperated from the others (well you and Iria are together). When playing the game you will encounter people in which you can have join or leave, but I won't tell you who should join and who shouldn't, nor will I say who joins and doesn't because of characters you already have in your party. Thats is all for my introduction into the game but I will say that trhe whole game is based on what happened in the beginning so pay close attention to the details.

Score: Personally I give this game for concept a score of 8/10 but not because of simplistic reasons.

Graphics: All I can say is... the graphics are really good, but like most SNES games, its pretty much 2-D and not as great as what they would be for the PS2, but none the less... this game has some of the greatest graphics I have ever seen an SNES game have. Infact, it probably has better graphics than most PS2 games have. That is better than most, not including Final Fantasy games for the playstation consules.

Score: Since I can't personally give it a 10/10 I will do the next best and give it a 9/10, but only because the graphics arn't as great as current time games that are played on X-BOX 360 or PS3.

Sound: The sound effects are fairly decent. The basic music sometimes doesn't appear to be really all too appropriate for that time in the game when you first go through it, but if you play it through more than once then you will find that it does seem befitting to be where it is. The sounds effects are not really great at all, infact I think they might be some of the worsts I have seen for a Role Play Game, but still they are pretty good considering it is a SNES game. The voices were not translated but are still fairly good I guess, but I can't really be the judge of that since I don't really care about the voice of a character.

Score: I give this games's sound score a best 5/10 only because I know the game demands better. I mean for an RPG you would expect great sound to go with great game play right?

Game Play: The battle system for this game is not turn based so that means the enemies don't wait on you and you don't wait for the other characters in your party. The other characters that you have in your part attack whenever they do unless you take control of them by pressing the 'b' button and then moving the cursor over to the characters name and pressing the 'a' button, but I digress to the fact that once you finish an atack you can attack again without waiting much longer than a second or so. I personally think that some of the FF games should adapt to this system but hey, what do I know, I'm just the guy who plays them.

Score: I give this game a 10/10, the top score because of its originality in the system and the fact that you don't have to wait for your other characters to take their turn in the battle and it give you a better chance to grasp the feal of what a real battle encounter might acctually feel like.

Replay Value: Well since you can't get all the character by playing it just once, I would just have to play it again to unlock all the characters and grasp the feel of of what kinda power they have so I know if I want to play it again and blow the game away with superpowerful characters that can't be touched. I also would play it again just because it is an RPG and because it has an addicting feature to it.

Score: I give it a 9/10 because it almost demands that you replay it and I'm sure that if you love RPGs then you would agree that replaying it is a must. Even if you arn't a big fan of the fact that its an RPG, then you might still want to replay just because of how the battle system is set up.

Overall: Well this is technically my first review so I think I did pretty well considering the fact that I even got away from RPGP and the game long enough to type it up. Again I like the battle system, its a must play for that fact, and the graphics for it only being a SNES is also a must reason to at least play it once, if not more than once but thats up to you. The sound is pretty much normal but lacks some of the better qualities you would find in a RPG. The replay factor is also another must for this game since you can't really say you beat the game unless you do so. The storyline set-up is just amazing considering the time the game came out. Other than that I really don't see any further reason to explain myself, but I must say, at least play the game to know that what I say is the truth.

Final Score: 8.4/10 only brought down due to its sound qualities, yet it's still a must for any RPG player.

Selim
06-03-2008, 12:59 PM
Good, but it could use some work.

Personally, I think you should get rid of that accursed tally system, simply because it's overused and something more original would provide better and more interesting reading material. Unless you've made tallies your thing, I would write, search, and experiment with my own revewing style until I obtained a grasp on it. You could also beef up your points more, and use some images to draw attention from the reader in case they get bored mid-paragraph.

Despite a few flaws I saw from it, it get the point across. Nice work on reviewing an excellent game.