Play Now!

Thread: [PS2] Atelier Iris Series

Default [PS2] Atelier Iris Series

Has anyone played these yet?

Atelier Iris is a NIS America produced series, from GUST, a sub-series of the Atelier series and there's a Mana Khenlia game too... I think is the name... But, anyway the game is Nippon Ichi's standard 2D gaming style, as seen in Odin Sphere, Disgaea, and GrImGrImOiRe, but varies, in that it uses a battle system similiar to FFX's card-based turn system. Where your item, attack, base speed, and skill speed determine how long before you attack again. In AI1 and AI2, however, it is more of a speed-bar, where your party and enemies race to the 'action slot'. As well, it's a puzzle game, and has a lot of side-quests, mostly based around the Alchemetic system the game uses, for the creation of just about every item you'll use in the game, and even some you won't!

While Atelier Iris 1 and 2 are directly linked, AI3 suffers where it's a new setting, and fewer characters that it's predecessors, though the Blade system makes it seem as though you have 9 characters at your disposal.

If you like NIS, or puzzle-RPGs, Atelier Iris is probably a good look.

I was thinking of buying Atelier Iris 3 the other day, but wasn't quite sure.

I've heard mixed reviews about it. Some people like it, some people don't. Anyways, what do you suggest?

Is 3 a good game?

It's been good to me so far.

I hate that they don't give Edge any real backstory though. Nell gets tonnes, but Iris and Edge get jewed. I don't like that you have 2 useful Blades for Edge, and one that does massive damage, but that you'll never Burst Chain with. I haven't got Edge's other two yet... but hopefully they won't suck as badly.

Nell, however, suffers miserably from low damage (lower than Edge's Plua Blade), and lack of useful healing skills in her Nymph Blade, all of which are dependant on the number of healing items in your pack. 3 uses of a Heal Jar, on all three characters is a good feature, but when the monster hits twice in that time, and can do over a 100 damage to each character... you fail to see how Nell's healing adds up.

Iris' alchemy is a staple though. 90% of the weapons you get suck, and you can't alter their abilities, so you require her alchemy so that they're not-so-shitty, and make one and add attributes.

The only other flaw... Each item TYPE shares all of the same attributes. You cannot make a second flame ring with a new effect, and whatnot, forcing you to waste valuable resources, some of which are hard to come by, if you need a new strategy.

Also, some of the quests require you to give up good weapons - like the damned, Rose Thorn quest.... that thing had the highest attack power out of all of the Kunai you have up to that point.

If you're looking for plot over gameplay, it's good for awhile. But the gameplay is where AI3 shines, really. As do most NIS games.

Alright then, I'll rent it or something, probably end up buying it. Then report what I think about it. Thanks for your mini-review Asmo.

I bought Grand Phantasm, it's awesome.Most of people I saw said it wasn't good and blah blah blah, and that it was inferior to the other ones on the series, maybe I liked it so much 'cause it's my first experience with games of the serie.

i enjoy this series a lot. i think it is good. ive only played the first 2 on the ps2. i haven't gotten the chance to get the third one yet. probalby will during the summer when i have more free time to play game.

the crafting system is pretty good and i enjoy teh characters in teh game as well.

One of the bad things they tell about Grand Phantasm is the lack of characters, it has only 3, but the Blades system helps cover this.